St Fillans lies at the eastern end of Loch Earn, Lochearnhead at the western.
St Fillans was originally known as Port of Lochearn or Meikleport. In 1817 it was
renamed St Fillans by Lord Gwydyr, husband of the heiress to the Drummond lands,
Clementina Drummond. St Fillans village expanded into the small resort
it is today. There are several hotels offering lochside accommodation and views
along Loch Earn and the mountains which flank it. St Fillans has a golf course
which was first laid out in 1903.
Above the south side of the Loch is Ben Vorlich (985m) a steep sided pyramid
shaped peak. This is a popular climb and the views from the top are spectacular.
To the east of the village lies the remains of the ancient 7thC Pictish fort of
Dundurn on top of a craggy step sided hill. Around the hilltop are a series of ruined
walls enclosing a fortified area of 5000 sqr metres. the fort is mentioned in the Annals
of Ulster being besieged in 683AD. Nearby Allt Ghoinean burn is claimed to be Monan in Sir
Walter Scott's poem The Lady of the Lake.
There is a large hydro-electric power station in St Fillans, fed from a dam at
Loch Lednock high above the village. You would be forgiven for missing the
station though, it is underground and was hewn out of solid rock.
St Fillans :-
Check out the full Local Directory, Visitor Guide, and Business Services.